Preparation for the senior school occurs in Year 10. Students are encouraged to explore the options available and to consider what subject areas they want to experience in preparation for future study in Year 11 and 12.
Students in Year 10 receive detailed information about senior subjects and information nights are held regarding course availability and choices.
Subjects available in Year 10, 11 and 12:
- English or English communication
- Mathematics are compulsory subjects for all students.
In the senior school, students must study a minimum of six subjects. This must include a Maths and an English subject. Students have three pathways to choose from in their senior years of schooling.
- An OP pathway - students must study a minimum of five authority subjects. Three of these must remain the same for the whole two years.
- A RANK pathway - students must choose a minimum of one vocational education and training (VET) certificate and can only choose one authority registered subject and up to four authority subjects.
- A VET pathway - students must choose a minimum of two certificate-two qualifications, or be undertaking a school based apprenticeship or traineeship. Four other subjects must be studied which can be a combination of authority or authority registered subjects.
Further information about the subjects and pathways available for study in the senior school can be found in the relevant subject selection booklets
and in the information presentations below.
Subjects offered to senior school students:
Subjects marked * are available for students to begin studying in Year 10. All other subjects are available for selection from the beginning of Year 11.
Marine studies *
Marine science *
Media studies *
Modern history *